HVGA is excited to welcome Barbara Taylor-Laino of Midsummer Farm for the March installment of our Winter Lecture Series on Saturday, March 15th in Chester, NY. Join Barbara for The Art of Soil Building, and learn a variety of successful soil building tactics from the traditional compost pile, to manure and herbal teas, and biodynamic preparations.
“For good, continual production it’s important to grow your soil. It’s a magical little environment in there – and if you want to get a lot more from planting a small space you need to start with a well-built soil,” said Barbara.
Barbara wears so many hats, so very well, that it’s difficult to know where to begin writing about her. She’s an educator, plantswoman, farmer, herbalist and author. Midsummer Farm, located in Warwick, is home to a CSA, seasonal plant sales, and extensive workshop schedule on everything from backyard organic poultry rearing to seed starting to a twelve-week long Living With Herbs intensive. All classes are “taught from a strictly Holistic and Organic standpoint.”
Midsummer Farm was started in 2005 by Barbara and her husband Mark while she was still working full time in the publishing industry. The five-acre farm and greenhouse (built in 2010) support the twenty member CSA program that includes vegetables, herbs, cut flowers and eggs. Plants are also grown for resale – veggie, herb, annual flower and perennial seedlings are available for sale at Midsummer Farm on select weekends in May and August, and also at Trade Secrets and Hudson Valley Garden Fair.
After almost a decade of experimenting with growing methods and learning how to build a thriving artisanal and sustainable farm, Midsummer Farm is moving towards becoming a resource for others looking to do the same. Barbara will offer a Permaculture Design Course that focuses on micro-farming as a business this September, as well as continue to develop her already diverse workshop offerings.
Fun facts about Barbara:
• She has always loved gardening and growing plants – especially herbs.
• Became a published author with the release of The Healthy Homemade Pet Food Cookbook in October 2013.
• Was almost evicted from an apartment for having too many plants on the patio.
• Midsummer Farm is Certified Organic and Certified Naturally Grown. Barbara is a certified Permaculture instructor.
• Barbara and Mark started planting their first garden at Midsummer Farm before the property was officially theirs because they couldn’t wait to start growing!
• Spending time with Barbara means you’re going to learn about something new – whether it’s growing King Stropharia mushrooms in compost or little known italian greens like puntarelle (a roman chicory) and agretti.
• Barbara is one of the very first members of Hudson Valley Garden Association.
Sign Up Don’t miss out on future plant sales and workshop announcements by joining the Midsummer Farm mailing list – sign up online. Barbara’s newsletters often include excellent tips and information on seasonally relevant topics, just when you need them.
Big Seedling Plant Sales
Saturday & Sunday, May 10th & 11th
Saturday & Sunday, May 24th & 25th
(Dates are tentative, check website closer to date.)